Cooking in Cosplay: Kinpira Gobo
Featured Anime: Chobits, Episode 1
In the Chobits world, they have Persocoms which are personalized robots that look like humans. Hideki Motosuwa finds Chi among the trash on his way home and brings her back with him. When he activates her, he discovers she is different than any other persocom. Hideki is both awed and shocked at this newly activated, naked persocom in his room, who immediately turns to him in adoration. Hideki's new landlady, Hibiya Chitose, makes a surprise visit to gift him her homemade kinpira gobo. Follow along as we show you how to recreate this dish so that you can barge in on your neighbors!
Recipe adapted from Just One Cookbook.
Easy-to-print PDF here.
1 gobo (burdock root)*
1 tbsp neutral flavor oil (vegetable, canola, etc.)
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tbsp white sesame seeds
¾ cup dashi (1 tsp hondashi : 1 cup water)
2 tbsp sake
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp mirin
1½ tbsp soy sauce
*NOTE: Gobo oxidizes very quickly. Keep a bowl of cool water to store any pieces while cutting.
1. Peel the carrot and julienne.
2. Peel the gobo and julienne. Soak the pieces in water and add one drop of vinegar. Change the water a few times until it becomes clear. Leave the gobo in water until you stir fry.
3. Heat some cooking oil in a pan. Use medium heat. Then add gobo. Stir fry for a few minutes.
4. Add carrots and continue stir frying.
5. Add seasoning and simmer until most of the liquid has cooked off.
6. After the liquid has evaporated, add sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds.
7. Add more sesame seeds for your final touches. Make an announced visit to your neighbor and find him with his naked robot.